Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Is Rhizotomy or Gamma knife a better treatment for Trigeminal neuralgia?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2542 Questions
For the treatment of trigeminal neuralgia which is the preferred or better course of treatment Resodimy or Gamma Knife>
Posted Sat, 14 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. It depends upon the severity and extent (area of distribution) of your symptoms.

2. Both Rhizotomy and Gamma Knife are minimally invasive techniques. You should avoid microvascular decompression.

3. Rhizotomy (radiofrequency/thermal or chemical) will get you immediate relief if your pain is severe.

4. Gamma Knife is better for long term relief.

5. Are you on any medication? Is this one sided? Is the neuralgia limited to one division of the Trigeminal Nerve?

6. I am assuming that your MRI workup is complete.

7. Percutaneous Balloon Compression is also a new technique.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor