Is PET scan advisable for patients with Parkinson's disease?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: IS A PET SCAN FOR PARKINSON'S DISEASE SAFE TO TAKE. ARE THERE ANY SIDE EFFECTS?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
PET scan causes ionizing radiation hazards but it is too small.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Radiation exposure due to PET scan is far less than the maximum safe limit.
However, due to its diagnostic benefit, nowadays PET scan is widely used for evaluation of parkinson's disease.

In short, don't worry about radiation hazards.Patient may go for it.
There may be mild local complications due to injection which can be easily managed.

Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.
Please rate my answer if you are satisfied.

Take Care
Dr. Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng