Is Neomycin effective at treating ear infections?
Antibiotic eye drops can be used topically (dripped into the ear canal) to treat otitis externa infections of the ear - that is infection of the ear canal. It cannot treat infections of the ear drum or middle ear (otitis media) which is what we usually mean when we say a person has an ear infection. For that you need oral antibiotics.
Regarding the rapid heart rate, it's possible that you are having an allergic reaction to the antibiotic but usually there would be swelling and itching at the site where you drip in the medicine. Not a lot is absorbed, so I wouldn't expect tachycardia to happen but it is possible.
Does the neomycin preparation also contain a steroid? That may be causing tachycardia.
If your heart rate is this elevated at rest, I recommend you go in now to an urgent care clinic or ER where you can be evaluated and also the ear canal can be looked at for an allergic reaction. There may be something else going on that is causing the tachycardia as well.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Will azithromycin treat ear infection
- Ciprofloxacin to treat ear infections
- Side effects of ear infection
- Treat ear infections in adults
- How to treat an ear infection
- Will doxycycline treat ear infection
- Neomycin for ear infections
- Metronidazole to treat ear infections
- Treat inner ear infection
- Will cipro treat ear infection
- Suggest treatment for chronic hip/pelvic pain
- What causes coughing, sneezing, headaches and watery eyes?
- Suggest treatment for post nasal drainage and runny nose
- What causes foul body odor and overactive bladder while taking Trospium?
- What causes pain near the navel area?
- What causes joints pain with welts and teeth problems?
- Suggest remedy for drainage at back of throat and vomiting sensation
- Suggest treatment for pain under the clavicle
- Suggest medication for ADHD
- Suggest medication for bloating in a person with history of colitis