Is Hydroxyzine an effective medication for pain, nausea and diarrhea while tapering off Percocet and Morphine?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on 3 days ago in General Health
Question: just recently went off Percocet and morphine for my back..........have felt sick diareha and suicidal has been 2 weeks still have scripts left but don't want to take them ......I am a govt employee that is being drug tested and subject to drug counseling this week have something called hydroxyzine 25 mg that was given to me by pain clinic is that ok to take?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

Hydroxyzine is an older class of antihistamine. It does not affect pain per se, but can help with nausea from withdrawal and is sedating. It is not addicting or a controlled substance, and shouldn't interfere with a drug test, but be sure to tell the tester that you are taking it.

I am very concerned about your depression and withdrawal symptoms and recommend that you talk with a pain specialist, or at least your primary doctor, for management of your withdrawal symptoms and depression.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician