question-icon

Is Bupropion safe to take for mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation?

Posted on Sat, 21 Nov 2020
Question: Is it okay to take bupropion xl if you have mitral valve prolapse and regurgitation? I had a lot of problems on the stimulants with palpitaions and pains. Ive been taking wellbutrin for 2 weeks and havent noticed any problems. I didnt realize that it had the norepinephrine reuptake because i purposely didnt read about the medicine before i took it since i can obsess over things but now i found out and am scared.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern and would explain that there are no contraindications to Wellbutrin in your clinical situation.

So it is OK to take this drug for anxiety.

It may lead to increased palpitations as a possible adverse effect.

If this happens, I would recommend performing a resting ECG and an ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ilir Sharka, Cardiologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist