Is Acyclovir safe to take during pregnancy for treating genital herpes?
Caesarean delivery is recommended.
Genital herpes is a potentially serious condition and can cause serious outcomes for the baby.
The safest option in your case will be a caesarean section to prevent the baby from coming into contact with the virus in the birth canal.
After birth, please watch the baby closely for a few weeks. Symptoms of herpes in neonates may include some mild skin rashes, fever or lack of appetite.
While these can be symptoms of several mild illnesses, better not to wait if your baby develops this. Take the baby to the paediatrician at once.
Please be sure to inform the Paediatrician about your genital herpes for a prompt evaluation and management accordingly.
Acyclovir is not recommended in this scenario.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Trimovate cream and genital herpes
- Acyclovir cream for genital herpes
- Is calamine lotion safe for genital herpes
- Genital herpes itchy stomach
- Ways to treat genital herpes
- Is fenvir safe and good to take for genital herpes
- Acyclovir dosage for genital herpes
- Have genital herpes how to treat it suggest
- Can dactarin treat genital herpes
- Oral herpes genital herpes