Is Acyclovir safe to take during pregnancy for treating genital herpes?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Wed, 12 Sep 2018 in Infections
Question: i have genital herpes , can i eat Acyclovir to avoid outbreaks i want to have a normal delivery
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Caesarean delivery is recommended.

Detailed Answer:

Genital herpes is a potentially serious condition and can cause serious outcomes for the baby.

The safest option in your case will be a caesarean section to prevent the baby from coming into contact with the virus in the birth canal.

After birth, please watch the baby closely for a few weeks. Symptoms of herpes in neonates may include some mild skin rashes, fever or lack of appetite.

While these can be symptoms of several mild illnesses, better not to wait if your baby develops this. Take the baby to the paediatrician at once.

Please be sure to inform the Paediatrician about your genital herpes for a prompt evaluation and management accordingly.

Acyclovir is not recommended in this scenario.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee