Infant started blinking and squinting eyes while watching tv. Concerned

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My 21 month old toddler started blinking hard/squinting noticeably when watching screens: tv, ipad, cellphone. Immediately after starting to watch. I've eliminated all screen time but I'm still concerned. This started less than one week ago. Any other times she's fine and won't blink hard or squint. Her eyes are not red, teary or anything.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 29 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for sending your query to us
your child is having what is called as accommodative squint.This happens due to over active accommodation in children,which when exercised then it leads to convergent squint.
Some children grow out of it,if tt is needed then cycloplegics are used to reduce overactive accommodation.
if left untreated then XXXXXXX squint develops.
Do get back to me in case of further query.
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 45 minutes later
what is 'over active accommodation'?
what is cycloplegics ?
what is "frank squint"?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 10 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for getting back to us.
Accom.is the power you exert to look for near objects.after 40 this starts to wane,that is why we need glasses for reading.In early stages this is very strong.The problem your child has usually starts at preschool stage when child is asked to look at near object and focus,thereby accommodate.
cycloplegics are drops which reduce this power. XXXXXXX squint is the situation when the eye is permanently turned in,as they call in cross eye.
Get back to me again if there are further querries.