Suggest treatment for swelling in the eye

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: My mother 89 years old woke up with a swollen right eye. the eye is almost swollen shut, all she can do is squint. I am debating if I should take her to the Emergency Room or wait to go to the doc onMonday??
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
should be assessed

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It would be best to take her to be seen today if that is possible.

The reason for the swelling is not known, it may be due to an allergic reaction, which can be treated at home, but it is also possible that there may be infection.
If it is itching then allergy is most likely and taking oral antihistamines may be helpful, in that case, assessment can wait till Monday

Trauma can do it as well but she would remember if there was trauma to the eye.

The type of swelling seen in the images is most commonly related to blockage/infection of the glands in the eyelid but this would need be confirmed by a visit to a doctor.
If this is the case then a warm compress to the eye and topical antibiotics would be needed.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions