Infant got cold and chest congestion. Will it be safe to give novamox srediuse and sinarest?

Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth

Pediatrician, Neonatology

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi,

Our new born kid is 45 days old. I have some questions regarding her:

- She is sleeping most of the time and whenever she is awake, she keeps cooing and moaning. Is this a normal phenomenon? I read somewhere that the kids start to be awake for most part of the day during their second month.
- She's been having cold and sort of chest congestion since 2 days and our pediatrician has suggested that she be given Novamox Rediuse drops and Sinarest drops (both oral). Are there any known side effects of these?
- FYI, she's currently being administered upon with Ultra D3 drops and MIM Z
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Glad to know that your premi is doing well weight wise!

Are you breast feeding the baby?
Reg your questions,
1---in the second month babies are more awake than the first month but still they sleep around 12-16 hrs per day.
At a stretch they may some times sleep 4-5 hrs but will usually get up every 2-3 hrs for feeds both in the day and night.
Babies vary from one to another in sleep pattern just lie adults!

2 reg your second question ,
Novamox is antibiotic.
Sinarst contains antihistamine called chlorpheniramine which can cause sedation.
I ml contains 1 mg of the drug.
The dose for your baby will be 0.2 ml 2-3 times per day.
I wonder how much you are giving!!??
You can halve the dose and reduce the frequency also if baby sleeps too much.

Reg the third statement of meds
Ultra D3 is vitamin D
And the other one is multivitamin and multi mineral drops you can continue as prescribed .

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow up: Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply and your blessings doctor. One quick question: Can we continue to use MIM Z and Ultra D3 while we're using Novamox Rediuse and Sinarest? Or, should we hold administering these two drops till her cold subsides (this is suggested by her paediatrician)?
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 55 minutes later
Hi
You can continue the drops even when you are giving the antibiotics and sinarest.

The only hastle is giving too many medicines for this small baby as babies tend to spit out the medicines and milk also comes out with it!!
So if you are comfortable with giving all,no problems.

One more advice in general ,being a pre term baby and this flu season now, please be careful not to expose the baby to crowded places,blast of air and any one with flu symptoms.

Dr Uma