I'm getting a hard pimple/bump around hair follicles in my

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 13 Feb 2019 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I'm getting a hard pimple/bump around hair follicles in my groin area.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hot compresses

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr. Jolley,

These little bumps (providing it is in the skin and not deeper) are usually collections of sebaceous material that the skin produces that plug a hair follicle. Sometimes they are small infections of the hair follicle (if tender and red) but even in this case, if you get it fairly early they don't cause problems.

Applying heat, preferably moist heat, will help bring increased blood flow to the area. This will help clean up infection if present (if small) and loosen up trapped sebum.

I recommend running hot water in the bathroom faucet and heating up a wash cloth and holding it to the pimple, then reheating the cloth again. Do this for several minutes a minimum of 3 times/day (when you get up, mid day, when you go to bed, and if you can get one extra time fit in the day that would be a bonus). Hot soaks in the tub are good too. If your underwear hit this spot, wear boxer shorts for now.

It will take a few days, but it should become softer and the body will reabsorb it over time. If, however, it is becoming red and painful and spreading, then it's time to see the doctor.

Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T