I'm currently taking Quetiapine Fumarate 50 mg for depression and

Question
I'm currently taking Quetiapine Fumarate 50 mg for depression and has gain 15 lbs within 1 years is it possible to lose those pounds and maintaine a healthy weight while still on this drug. I'm 67 yrs old.
Mon, 12 Feb 2018 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
that would be hard...

Detailed Answer:

weight gain is a common side effect of drugs like quetiapine but citalopram may also contribute to it. It's not easy to negate the weight gaining effect of these drugs. Your doctor may try to change your regimen (for example quetiapine can be substituted by less risky drugs regarding weight gain). You can try to control your weight by increasing your physical activity and reducing the amount of caloric intake.

Some patients do well with the drug, most don't... Treatment changes should be discussed with the treating doctor only.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!

Follow-up: I'm currently taking Quetiapine Fumarate 50 mg for depression and 16 hours later
Do you know how long it will take for the medicine to leave my system once I stop taking it? and would I be able to drop the excess weight. also when stopping these type of medications are their any withdrawal systems like street drugs.
I'm planning to discuss with my PCP, but I want as much information I can attain before discussion
Follow-up: I'm currently taking Quetiapine Fumarate 50 mg for depression and 1 hour later
do you know how long it will take for the medication to leave my system once i stop taking it? also would i be able to drop the excess weight when stopping this type of medication are their any withdrawal ... I'm planning to discuss with my PCP but i want as uch information I can attain before discussion

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
a couple of days

Detailed Answer:
After a couple of days the drug should have left your system completely. No withdrawal effects are expected for quetiapine but citalopram may cause symptoms of depression if stopped cold turkey. The excess weight is a result of increased appetite usually so stopping it will at least stop further weight gain. Whether you're going to loose the excess weight or not depends on your eating discipline after stopping the drug.

In any case you shouldn't try to change anything without your doctor's approval! Your doctor knows exactly why every drug was prescribed and how important it is for your health.

Kind Regards!