I started with some headaches , sinus congestion. It developed

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Sun, 23 Dec 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started with some headaches, sinus congestion. It developed into sinus drainage which caused me to become hoarse. Headache were for 4 days. It was hard to work because of the headaches. Then I took sinus medicine to drain all of the congestion because I wasn't able to get it to drain by itself. The only symptom I am having now is coughing when I breathe to deeply, or talk. It is a dry cough. It feels like the hairs in my throat are tickling me and causing the cough. Ther isn't any chest congestion. From start to now it has been 11 days.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The tickling feeling you are describing may be from some continued drainage down the back of your throat from your sinuses. It is also possibly the reason for your cough.

Can you please tell me:
What was the sinus medicine you took - an oral decongestant like pseudoephedrine? a mucolytic such as guiaifenesin? or an antibiotic?

If you haven't tried it already, you may be able to help the continued drainage resolve by using a steroid nasal spray such as Flonase or other over the counter steroid nasal spray. It can take a couple of days to work, but it may stabilize the mucus membranes.

When a sinus infection persists more than 10-14 days (along with low grade fever and other symptoms), then we do use an antibiotic. But it sounds as though the main problem has mostly resolved.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy