I have been prescribed 65 mg elemental iron. Since that's

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been prescribed 65 mg elemental iron. Since that's so much iron, should I avoid eating food with iron in it?
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
In iron deficiency this much iron is prescribed

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to Ask A Doctor service.

I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

This much iron is usually given to combat iron deficiency and this dose is taken by oral route. When taken by oral route, excess of it is excreted and never gets absorbed into body. So it does not matter if you take some additional iron with your food. It will also not get absorbed into body.

To better answer your query I need details like your serum iron levels, exact formulation of the medicine and its dose per day.

Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vaishalee Punj 17 minutes later
When I started treatment, my ferritin levels were 5. The last time I got checked, my ferritin levels were 29, but my doctor wanted me to continue treatment, anyway. I'm taking 65 mg of elemental iron per day (Nature Made brand) with 1000 mg vitamin C and a women's multivitamin that includes 400 mg folate (at the request of my gynocologist). The multivitamin has no iron and very little vitamin C and very little calcium.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can continue iron for few weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

In my opinion you can continue with iron for few weeks and then discontinue. It usually takes prolonged treatment for many weeks to re-store iron stores in body. So I am not expecting an over-dose of iron in your case for atleast few more weeks. After stopping iron, we will need to re-check iron and ferritin levels again after few months. The levels can drop again if nutritional iron is not sufficient.

Dr Vaishalee