I have Type 2 diabetes and take 500 mg. Metaformin
Your sugar control is not sufficient, need another drug, visit your doctor.
Welcome to Ask a Doctor Service.
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Fasting sugar levels of 120-135 consistently and this higher reading of 160 indicate the need for adding an additional drug to manage the blood sugar levels.
An ideal choice would be to add Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor like sitagliptin.
This needs to be closely monitored to avoid hypoglycemic episodes so it is a must to consult your endocrinologist or diabetologist and discuss the available options.
Your sugar level is bot extremely high so it is not an emergency, you can consult your doctor tomorrow.
I hope I have been able to help you.
I am visiting family in California. My doctor is in NewYork. I haven't called him yet.
sitagliptin to my treatment regimen.
There is no need to panic, you can test again after 1 hour, and tomorrow.
Thank you for writing back with more details.
Please relax, it is not high enough to cause worry.
Usually, the complete effect of metformin would be appreciable by 1 to 2 hours after taking the medicine.
You can check your blood sugar again after 1 hour to see how it is (it will reduce a little further and it is expected).
You must continue your medicine as before without any change for now.
And you should check your blood sugar level tomorrow morning before breakfast to know if it remains high like today.
You can visit your doctor once you are back in NewYork.
I wish you all the best.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Abdominal pain, history of gall bladder disease. Overnight treatments?
- Bleeding from a razor cut. HIV infection chances?
- Had craniotomy done after accident. Can I masturbate now?
- Pregnant via IVF, second pregnancy. Problems with vaginal delivery?...
- How much does liver cancer surgery cost in Canada? Will Health Canada...
- Sore throat, abdominal pain. Blood work and strep test good. Had bowel...
- 3 week old baby, cries while passing urine, holds body tight while...
- Persistent red and pink urine, stressed. Serious?
- White discharge from surgery wound, pus from the internal stitches....
- What steps to take to lessen plaque in arteries and lower chances of...