I had my thyroid tested recently and I been on

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Mar 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I had my thyroid tested recently and I been on Levothyroxine for 10- 15 years and my TSH was 14.85 but my T3 and T4 levels were normal? When I called my doctor he scheduled me an apt for 2 weeks out and said he will discuss it with me then but I would like an explanation now if you could?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About levothyroxine dose:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.

The TSH result you reported is high suggesting for a low dose of Levothyroxine even though the dose you are taking is relatively high.

Before increasing the dose you must be sure that you have taken the tablet regularly, with an empty stomach and have not eaten breakfast for at least another 30 min.

Perhaps your treating physician will suggest how to increase the dose after a detailed clinical examination and if he does not find any cause that interferes with levothyroxine absorption.

Hope the information will help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee