I am a screenwriter. My current project involves a transradial
33 year old male diabetic, heavy smoker (2-3 packs a day, 10+ years) comes into hospital with what he believes is a broken left arm: it's purple-black discoloured and in severe pain. He says that the arm had experienced some pain and numbness for a couple weeks before, but after it was broken it became unbearable. Black spots are noticed on his elbow and forearm. Upon taking blood pressure of both his arms, we find the left has significantly lower blood pressure than the right. An ultrasound to the arm and angiogram detects a clot, a blood panel finds an infection in his bloodstream. It is determined that he has dry gangrene in his arm, and the safest way forward is amputation.
Does this seem right to you? What strikes you as not possible, malpractice, etc.? The details filled out in the health profile are that of this character/patient
Better chance the patient age and underlying disease.
Hello dear, welcome to Ask a doctor service.
I read your query and here is my advice.
OK most of the description seems right and possible but I can suggest you to change some characteristics of the person to make it seem more real.
It would be better if you change age to a person over 50 suffering from diabetes, high cholesterol levels, with heart disease, overweight and high blood pressure.
The hand would seem bluish and discoloured and weak pulse with ulcera that don't heal.
Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes black outs. I was standing by a door
- Hello, I've been a pack a day smoker for 42
- I received some insect (ant, chigger?) about two weeks ago.
- it seems everytime I try to swallow pork meat my
- My wife has been taken entecavir for 30 days as
- I was recently hospitalized for 6 weeks after overdosing on
- I am in major pain under my right breast/ rib
- Hey doctor, I just had a question I have been
- What could a persistent cough be from along with some
- I began weaning off 50mg of sertraline 3 weeks ago.