How to lower the side effects of blood pressure medication?

Posted on Thu, 22 May 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Yes, my blood pressure medicine has been changed several times, I've taken it for my mitral valve prolapse, but the side effects have been so hard on me, is there anything I can do to cause them to be less intense, they include swollen gums, not being able to fall asleep like I used to, and less energy. Also, since my blood pressure is low, can I get off of the medicine I'm on now(Atenenol)and if so how do I get off of it gradually and will this cause these side effects I have to become even more intense?
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Guess you are not tolerating beta blockers

Detailed Answer:
Since you are symptomatic of your MVP, it looks like you need one or the other medicines and it has to be beta blocker. Since you have tried Metaprolol and Atenolol, there are at least two more commonly available drugs Nebivolol and Carvidolol.

If Nebivolol is available and approved for this indication in your country, you may try it as it causes less fatigue and other side effects. Also it would be more about building the dose gradually rather than coming off it.

Discuss with your doctor about switching over to nebivolol.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol

Cardiologist, Interventional