Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

How to increase height?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1414 Questions
My son is 15 years and 5 months. He is healthy but he is not getting any taller. He grew less than an inch from age 14 to 15. He is 5 feet 3 inches. He is also in puberty so too late for growth hormone. We have been to endocrinologist who says his growth hormone level is normal. He has been taking Letrozole for the past year hoping that will help slow the fusing of the bones. At age 14 his bone age was 16. He tells everyone he is 5'5 and all of his friends are significantly taller. mother is 5'4" and dad is 5'11". Is there anything else we can try? Or how do I help him feel confident ? He looks playing sports and basketball is his favorite ? Thanks, a concerned mom who wants her son to be a happy adult
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more details please.

Detailed Answer:
Good day.
Noted the case history.
I would like to ask few questions.

1) at what age did he start to get puberty, pubic hair, voice change, facial hair, genital growth etc?

2) Did he have any problems soon after birth like low sodium and high potassium or failuure to thrive etc?

3) Has he been diagnosed with congenital adrenal hyperplasia ??

4) Did he have a sudden height acceleration compared to his peers before 9 years of age?

We need to find out why there was bone age acceleration. There are few conditions associated with this . Example: Congenital adrenal hyperplasia, Precocious puberty etc.

More than bone age, we need to look at his growth plates in Xray and epiphysis. We may need xrays of knees and hands including wrist.

Do you have an xray which you can attach to this ?

As per his dad's and Mom's height, his genetic final height prediction is
175.55 cm +/- 10 cm ( range of 165 cm to 185 cm). Now he is only 157.62 cm.

Letrozole is an aromatase inhibitor which prevents conversion of testosterone to estrogen. This may be helpful, atleast partially.

Did he have a 17-Hydroxy progesterone test any time ??


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How to increase height? 23 hours later
They did n X-ray of his hand at age 14 (a year and half ago) but not a knee X-ray . I will need to asks the lab to send me the file. I will also check on the lab tests and get back to in a couple of days. He had his growth spurt between age 13 and 14 and his voice dropped a year earlier than his peers. His paternal grandfather was short at 5'5". Could that have an influence on his height as well?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
it is possible for him to have acquired his paternal grand father's genes and if that is the case, there is a chance of using Growth hormone ( we use that occasionally in familial short stature to promote height gain). Growth spurt in the age of 13-14 years is normal and voice breakage also is normal for that age. So he is going through his puberty and we expect a height gain of atleast 8-10 cm an year.

The important thing is to know why he had a bone age acceleration ? Those labs are important and i would be particularly interested if an IGF-1 or IGF-BP3 was done at anytime ?

Could you attach his growth charts as well?

Shall await the lab reports

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor