question-icon

How should intermittent acute pain radiating from the buttocks down through the leg be medically addressed?

Posted on Fri, 11 Jun 2021
Question: I am sometimes troubled at night with acute pain down my left leg beginning at top of my buttocks. I assume it is sciatic nerve. I have no other trouble when awake. It starts when I am sleeping on my left side about 4 hours after I sleep - I assume it is pressure (I am overweight). The problem is I can only sleep on my side, not on my back - but when i try to sleep on my right side, during the night I a utomatically roll over and end up on my left with the acute pain arising.

I prefer not to take any drugs for this - I am looking for a physio style solution - perhaps a pillow between my legs?

Thanks in advance, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Ankylosis spondylosis is there.

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your query and health concerns in detail , you are suffering from ankylosis spondylosis . In this nerve is compressed between bony spurs .
You can do spinal flexion and extension exercise under supervision of physiotherapist , you will get relief .
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon