How serious is an irregular heart beat?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have just taken my Blood Pressure on a digital BP machine. It indicates a 138/99 which is unusual. It also had an indicator that said it registered a irregular heart beat. It suggested consulting a physician. It has been stressful today in some ways. Should I relax and see if the beats become regular. I've taken an aspirin and also one/half mg of Atavin to help lower my stress. My nephew and family are arriving today and we're hoping to join them for my birthday dinner.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I'd recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HealthcareMagic!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that these blood pressure values are above the normal ranges, but they are not very high.

The irregular heart beat could be related to anxiety or physical activity.

Do you feel palpitations or shortness of breath?

High blood pressure values could also be related to these two possible causes.

Coming to this point, I would recommend you to have some rest, close your eyes and take some deep breaths.

Another half tablet of Ativan would be of help too.

It necessary to monitor your blood pressure values and heart rhythm in the next hours.

If the irregular heartbeat persists and you are feeling shortness of breath or lightheadedness it would be necessary going to the ER for a physical exam and a resting ECG, coupled with some blood lab tests.

I remain at your disposal for any other questions.

Let me know about everything!
Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee