How risky is radiation from a CT scan?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Cancer
Question: i am 29 years old female, I delivered my baby through c section 9 months back. i developed fever and shivers two days after delivery and had breathlessness and high heart rate. My doctors weren't sure if it was an infection or pulmonary embolism.so they took my ct scan, ctpa initial+abdomen and took chest xrays on three consecutive days two days after my delivery, i was later diagnosed with endometrial infection and was treated with iv antibiotics and got better and got discharged. Luckily i haven't had any issues after that.
but i am now very much worried because of the ct scan and the xrays that were taken back then just two days after my delivery. I have read ct scans give out large amount of radiation and so does the xray and that the tissues are more radio sensitive after delivery . I am worried if am riskier of getting cancer in the future due to this? i have no family history of cancer.I would be really grateful if i could get a reply on this \
thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. Please do not worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I havs gone through the details. Yes a ct scan uses more radiation as compared to a xray but still the risk of future cancer is minimal. By one or two scans. The risk rises only if the scans are being done regularly for follow up, thats is 3 or 4 times an year. The same holds true for a post delivery uterus and there is practically no need to worry.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 31 minutes later
thank you very much doctor for the reassurance
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Feel free to ask. God bless you.
Thanks and regards