How often should a PEG tube be replaced?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am a caregiver for and elderly woman with a peg tube for at night tube feeding. She got her PEG tube placed in September 2016. The night caregiver is in charge of feeding she flushes before feeding and after feeding. But we still notice there is deposit on the tube itself. How often does the tube have to be replaced ?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually indications for replacement, not duration of use

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. Usually there is no fixed duration for replacement of a gastronomy tube, but more of complications that are considered indications of the replacement of the tube like:

+Malposition
+Obstruction
+Damaged
+Removed unintentionally
and a few others.

In about 4 weeks time, the tract is formed and changing the tube anytime after this should be easy, and in some cases can be done at home also by trained personnel. I hope you find my response helpful, please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T