• question-icon

How long does human chorionic gonadotropin remain in the body?

Posted on Sat, 5 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: how long does HCG stay in your system? I was taking it for weight loss, now missed my period and preg. test shows positive. I am 39 years old and want to make sure this is correct.
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 41 minutes later

The half life of HCG is approximately 2 days. So the elimination time for HCG from your system is around 10 - 12 days from the last intake of HCG.

So if you can provide us with the following information :
1. Date of last intake of HCG ?
2. Date of your last period ?
3. Average duration of your previous menstrual cycle (total duration of the cycle and the number of bleeding days) ?

With these details we can arrive at a possible reason as to whether the pregnancy test is positive is due to actual pregnancy itself or due to the external intake of HCG.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Dr. Tulasi Raman.P