Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

How is Escherichia coli infection treated during pregnancy ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I am pregnant in 7th month. I have tested positive for E Coli in urine culture test and doctor has prescrobed Gentamicin injections 80 mg twice daily for 7 days. Is it safe to have these injections in pregnancy and is there any risk on fetus from these.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 25 minutes later
Hello Bindra,

Thanks for your query.

Urinary tract infections are common during pregnancy, and the most common causative organism is Escherichia coli. Asymptomatic bacteriuria can lead to the development of cystitis or pyelonephritis.

Gentamycin (the aminoglycoside antibiotic which is most commonly prescribed during pregnancy) is a safe medication and has not been associated with any birth defects or to cause fetal harm.

You can undergo treatment with this medications.

I hope this clears your doubts regarding the medication. I shall be available to answer any further doubts or questions that you may have.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor