How contagious is MRSA which was diagnosed when hospitalized for pneumonia?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Thu, 7 Feb 2019 in General Health
Question: I have had HA MRSA and the physical theiripst said I had septic arthritis probably from it and I really donot get much help from my doctors because I got the MRSA while I was hospitalised for pnomonia 3 years ago. I also need to know how contagious the MRSA is. Thank You XXXXXXX I
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRSA is very contagious, follow strict hygiene practices

Detailed Answer:

Both Hospital and community acquired MRSA is very contagious. People who live in close proximity to you, people who have weakened immune system, older individuals and young children are at increased risk.

Wash your hands regularly and use hand sanitizer. Clean shared gym equipment and such with antiseptic lotion. Wash your linens and towels regularly, especially if sharing with others. Do not share razors or other sharp personal products.

If you currently have active staph infection, then antibiotics (Linezolid) are required. Even if you do not have any active symptoms, hygiene practices need to followed as carrier state is common.

Following septic arthritis, it will take time for the pain to completely subside. Continue physical therapy. You can also take Advil every 6 hours to relieve pain if needed.

Hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
I am currently single and wanting to have an affair with a lady and need to know the definition of "carrier state" and what to explain the situation to the lady. Thank You. Also will I always have the septic arthritis?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer

Detailed Answer:

Carrier state means that your body colonizes MRSA bacteria even though you do not have any active symptoms. Most carriers harbor MRSA bacteria on the skin's surface and in the nasal cavity. Therefore, you can shed bacteria and transmit it to others. Nasal swab culture can confirm if you are a carrier or not. That is why it is recommended to follow good hygiene practices especially when coming in contact with high risk population like older and younger individuals and people with weakened immune system.

No, you will not always have septic arthritis. Antibiotic treatment will completely clear up the joint infection. However, for some people the infection may have damaged the joint cartilage and it can take time for the cartilage to completely grow back and recover. Continue physical therapy to help fast recovery.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal