How can swelling in the fingers be treated?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2014
Jan 2014

Dermatologist
Question
Hello doctor, one of my finger is swollen up seriously. what can I apply to reduce the pain. Mistakenly cut myself the other day.
Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Oral and topical antibiotics and Oral anti-inflammatory

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Perhaps the finger has got infected if the cut was from a sharp non sterile object.

I would suggest you to apply a topical antibiotic e.g either Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin ointment 2%ointment, twice daily.

In addition to this I suggest you to take an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin for a week.

For pain and swelling I suggest you to take an oral anti-inflammatory e.g either ibuprofen or diclofenac, twice daily.

These are prescription medications and I request you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.