Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

How can stammering be cured?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2348 Questions
how to cure stammaring
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 31 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Stammering is not a disease or secondary to any medical conditions. It is one of the commonest speech problems that occurs in childhood and can persist into adulthood. It occurs due to fear, nervousness, excitement, lack of confidence and anticipation of blocking.

There are no medicines or surgery for this condition. It requires a dedicated team of clinical psychologist and speech pathologist to over-come this problem. Also, there are various speech and language approaches for stammering, which can help people improve their fluency and communication skills.

The modules include psychological counseling, vocal exercises, breathing techniques, controlled reading and speaking (including public speaking).

With regular practice and self-confidence most of them can make it up to the normal speech levels.

Hope I have answered your query; if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor