How can scalp itching be treated?

Question
Hello doctor, my hair is seriously itching and I don't know the cause. Please what can I do to stop the itching.
XXXXXXX
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

There are many causes for scalp itching. The most common cause is from dandruff or sebhoreic dermatitis. An antidandruff shampoo such as Head and Shoulders or Selsum Blue can help that. If that doesn't work, then Nizoral shampoo or T-Gel shampoo can help.

If your scalp is itching after using a new hair product - shampoo, conditioner, hair spray, hair coloring, etc, then that may be the cause. In that case stopping from using the product, and topical or in some cases oral steroids will resolve it.

If the itching is from head lice, then an anti lice shampoo, or sometimes olive oil, plus a nit comb, and washing clothing and bedding in hot water will treat it. Head lice is not a function of bad hygiene - it can happen if you are exposed to other people who have it.

If none of these scenarios apply to you, then I recommend you go to your doctor for him or her to look at your scalp.

I hope this information helps.