How can muscle spasms and twitching be managed besides discontinuing Vicodin?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I am experiencing muscle spasm and twitching besides discontinuing the Vicodin is there something else I should be doing?
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be electrolyte imbalance.

Detailed Answer:
Twitches and muscle spasms can be due to excessive alcohol intake, excessive anxiety, diabetes, renal or liver pathology, hyperthyroidism, neural problems, low levels of calcium,potassium,magnesium, Low levels of VIT B12, etc.
The exact cause can only be determined after proper clinical examination as well as some blood investigations including hormone profiles, liver and renal function tests.
I would advise you to get tested for above mentioned causes,stop alcohol and caffeine,do regular stress buster exercises like deep breathing exercises and yoga and start taking good nutritious diet.
If some deficiency comes in your tests,then take those supplements.
You can have electrolyte rich fluids like Garotade also.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal