How can mild constipation be treated?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Have aways been able to clear bowls first thing in morning in one movement over last 6 months have had trouble doing so sometimes taking 2 or 3 movements over ahour period to clear. Diet not changed and don't feel bad.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief answer:

Mild constipation.

Detailed answer:

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I think that you are suffering from mild constipation.

Initially, I would suggest you take a laxative like lactulose 5 ml once daily. Along with it start taking isapaghula husk 2 tsp twice daily with lukewarm water. It's a natural bulk laxative. Ispaghula is a type of fiber. It swells up when comes into contact with fluid in the gut and thus increases the volume of the feces.

The most important factor in curing you is a natural and simple diet.

-Use of fish oil and castor oil-Fish oil is believed to encourage healthy digestion and castor oil produces a laxative effect when ingested

-Fruits and vegetables, which contain high amounts of fiber, aid in alleviating symptoms of constipation, Whole-grain bread, XXXXXXX oatmeal, beans, and lentils can also relieve the problem so use it Instead of highly processed rice, eat brown rice, millet or bulgur.

-Eat 2 cups of fruit 3 cups of vegetables and about 35 grams of fiber per day
fruits: Generally, all fruits, except banana and jackfruit, are beneficial in the treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Ramesh Kumar, Gastroenterologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee