How can lower back pain and stiffness due to vertebral displacement in the lower back be treated?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Thu, 3 Jan 2019 in Back Pain
Question: I'm experiencing low back pain and stiffness. Sometimes I can hardly walk. I went to a chiropractor Friday and she took X-rays. X-rays showed that one of my vertebrae is out of alignment and could be pressing on spinal cord causing my gait to be off.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need an expert to advise from a spinal surgeon/ physio or physical therapist.

Detailed Answer:

Hi XXXX,

Thanks for asking your health query I have read it & understand your concern.

You have a vertebral displacement in lower back, which has resulted in compression on spinal cord & resulted in your back ache & inability to walk.Causes are genetic or degenerative changes in spine.

The condition is called spondilolisthesis...is diagnosed with detailed physical examination by a spinal surgeon... MRI or CT scan is needed to know the nature & degree of spinal displacement & severity of symptoms.

* Management in acute pain is by- rest, hot or cold compresses to relieve pain, NSAID drugs or pain medicines or steroids orally to remove inflammation & pain.

* Once pain is managed, further conservative treatment to avoid recurrence of acute exacerbation consists of -

Stretching exercises in form of- Physiotherapy/ Physical therapy / chiropractic treatment as per expert's advise along with needful supplement of anti inflammatory medicine & calcium & vitamin D supplement to alleviate bone degeneration / osteoporosis.

Regular following of doctor's advise would many a times help.

In case the problem is severe or there is no relief with conservative treatment, surgery is the answer. Surgery like spinal fusion is done to remove the compression on spinal cord... so the problem is solved.

I hope that answers your query.

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale, General & Family Physician