How can lower back pain and stiffness due to vertebral displacement in the lower back be treated?
You need an expert to advise from a spinal surgeon/ physio or physical therapist.
Thanks for asking your health query I have read it & understand your concern.
You have a vertebral displacement in lower back, which has resulted in compression on spinal cord & resulted in your back ache & inability to walk.Causes are genetic or degenerative changes in spine.
The condition is called spondilolisthesis...is diagnosed with detailed physical examination by a spinal surgeon... MRI or CT scan is needed to know the nature & degree of spinal displacement & severity of symptoms.
* Management in acute pain is by- rest, hot or cold compresses to relieve pain, NSAID drugs or pain medicines or steroids orally to remove inflammation & pain.
* Once pain is managed, further conservative treatment to avoid recurrence of acute exacerbation consists of -
Stretching exercises in form of- Physiotherapy/ Physical therapy / chiropractic treatment as per expert's advise along with needful supplement of anti inflammatory medicine & calcium & vitamin D supplement to alleviate bone degeneration / osteoporosis.
Regular following of doctor's advise would many a times help.
In case the problem is severe or there is no relief with conservative treatment, surgery is the answer. Surgery like spinal fusion is done to remove the compression on spinal cord... so the problem is solved.
I hope that answers your query.
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale, General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Lower back pain due to period
- Lower back pain due to colposcopy
- Lower back pain stiffness suggestions
- Lower back pain and stiffness
- Lower back pain overweight difficulty walking stiff shoulders and knees
- Back pain and stiff neck
- Reason for lower back pain knee pain headache stiffness
- What medication be taken for lower back pain and stiffness
- Back head injury head and lower back pain stiffness advise
- Stiff back pain