How can low potassium be treated?

Dr. Eni

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in General Health
Question: is there something i can buy over the counter to reduce the potassium in my system?
Answered by Dr. Eni 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Nothing over the country.

Detailed Answer:

There is nothing over the country to lower the increased potassium level, only drugs by prescription, but these drugs are used only when the level is too high.

Since you have not written your potassium level, I would just suggest you keep on the diet with low food of potassium, and also leave the pieces of vegetables or the pieces of fruit you eat in water for 20 min before you start consuming.

Keep in mind that there is some reason why the potassium level gets high. The best way to lower it is to take care of the reasons who made it high.

Excess muscle working out is very frequent and can give you muscle breakdown that will suddenly increase your potassium level.

Different drugs can increase potassium (drugs for hearts problems. especially) so if you are taking any drugs, consult them with the doctors who prescribed.

Also, the renal problem is another frequent reason to keep in mind.

If your potassium is just slightly high, I would recommend you not to worry, leave it some time, and then repeat the analysis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Eni, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T