How can inflammation and pain in the lower back be treated?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 11 Feb 2019 in Back Pain
Question: I have been diagnosed with Arthritis. It appears that bone growth or inflammation at my spine is causing me pain behind my lower right side of my lower back. While I am standing or walking I am good. But when I sit down for a period of time and stand, that's when it seems to tighten up and cause pain. Do you think that surgery may be the solution since it's arthritis related ?

I forgot to mention that my Primary health Physician thinks it could be a pinched nerve causing the pain due to the inflammation due to Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Proper medicines can help.

Detailed Answer:

The main treatment of such a problem is bed rest along with painkillers and muscle relaxants.

Muscle relaxants can help with her symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from her orthopaedics.

Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. She can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in times of acute pain.

Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.

Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon