How can increased appetite for junk food be managed while having depression related to PTSD?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I am a white sixty five year old female weight 135 height 5 6. Retired epidemiologist with depression related to ptsd. Also I believe I am an alcoholic so I never drink. Taking lexapro 20 and Lipitor 20. Now for the past three weeks I cannot stop eating sweets and chips and junk. I hate this. I have weighed between 123 and 127 for the past twenty years. Any help will be so appreciated. I had emir therapy for the depression last year.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lipitor will help to control the levels.

Detailed Answer:

Patients of depression on antidepressants sometimes see increased appetite. This usually goes away on its own and usually no intervention is needed. You are on Lexapro and this dose is controlling the depression. The drug is not associated with sudden increase in appetite.

Lipitor will keep the lipid levels in normal range. There is no need to give attention to the sudden urge for sweets or junk food. In some days, you will be able to control the appetite on your own.

Have high fibre foods to reduce the food intake.

Hope I have answered your query.

Thanks and Take care.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Psychiatrist