How can headache, earache and throat ache be treated despite taking Mucinex and Aspirin?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 4 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have headache,ear ache,neck ache, throat pain, and having belly pain. I took mucinex and asprine but its like it gets more painful they weren't prescribed
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sallie,

I'm sorry you are feeling so badly.

There is flu going around which causes body aches, congestion, headache and cough, and usually fever and chills. There are other respiratory viruses going around in the US now as well. You don't mention congestion (runny nose, stuffy, drainage down the throat) but I am assuming you are having some of that if you took Mucinex because Mucinex is a mucolytic - it thins out mucus so it can not be thick and irritating.

If your throat is severely painful, It would be a good idea to go in to an urgent care clinic where they can take a look and do a throat swab to make sure it is not strep. Strep throat is caused by bacteria and needs an antibiotic so that it does not cause risky problems in the future.

The abdominal pain, particularly if it is in the upper part of your abdomen, may be from irritation from aspirin as that can irritate the stomach lining. Consider using Tylenol (acetaminophen) instead. It's also possible that it is from the same virus, if the abdominal pain was there even before taking the aspirin.

One thing I am concerned about in what you wrote is the headache along with neck ache. Do you mean the neck ache is from swollen lymph nodes that are tender or do you mean your neck is stiff and causes pain to bend it? Because the latter can be signs of meningitis and while that is rare, if you are having both a headache and an unexplained stiff neck, then you must go in to be checked.

Does that information help what you are wanting to know? Please let me know if I can provide further information or clarification.