How can eyeache and itchy sensation be treated despite taking eye drops?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Sat, 2 Jun 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Around the 15th of December I scratched my right eye on a tree branch it hurt for a day or two then it went back to normal. I’ll wake up at night some times and my eye will feel scratchy but eye drops usually do the trick. Yesterday I had the same sensation during the night and evening was fine by morning. However today it randomly started to hurt again. I thought there was something in my eye but nothing was in there. It hurts just as bad as the day I scratched it and it’s super light sensitive. Eye drops offer minimal relief.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Corneal ulceration needs to be ruled out. Another possibility is allergic.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I need to ask if your eyes are red. A close shot (image) should be helpful. Possibly an allergic reaction is involved. Pataday (Olopatadine) Ophthalmic Solution should help [prescription medicine]. However, the light sensitivity concerns me and calls for a thorough ophthalmic evaluation, especially using split lamp microcopy to check for corneal ulceration.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng