question-icon

How can burning sensations in the oesophagus be treated post bypass operation?

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018
Question: hello. I am a male 50 years age.I tried to decrease my weigh by a sleeve operation and the result was very good. this was 3 years ago, however i got reflux syndrome in the esophagus . i tried all the possible non surgeryl medications but without any success.
last week i did a bypass operation to avoid the reflux but since then i do not suffer the acids in the esophagus but still sense the old burning. is it a matter of time to feel the relief of the burnings or i will be stuck forever. thanks
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Please give the procedure sometime.

Detailed Answer:

It's too early to comment whether the surgery would work or not as it's only been 1 week since the procedure was performed.

PPIs like Esomeprazole/Lansoprazole should be continued for at least a month even after the surgery to relieve the symptoms of dyspepsia that you mentioned.

Adding a gastrokinetic agent like Itopride should also help. It would be better to give the procedure sometime (w.r.t the reflux symptoms and burning sensation).

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Muhammad Sareer Khalil, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil