Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

How can bleeding from the inner ear be treated?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2832 Questions
I have blood coming out of my inner ear. Not sure what to do?
Fri, 8 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

If blood is coming out off your ear canal, I advise that you go in to an urgent care clinic right now to be seen.

Sometimes bleeding can happen if a person uses a Q tip or other device to clean their ear canal, and there is a scratch or irritation as a result.

It's also possible, if you have an ear infection, that the ear drum ruptures and bleeds.

The reason I want you to go to the urgent care is so that a physician can have a look in your ear because if the ear drum is not intact, you will need to take special care until it heals.

When you go in to the urgent care (or ER if no urgent care clinics open near you) I have two items of advice:
1. Make sure you are seen by a real physician and not a physician's assistant or nurse practitioner. PA and NPs do not have as much training as a doctor.
2. Don't touch your eyes, nose, or mouth (or inside your ear) until after you get home and thoroughly wash your hands and alcohol wipe anything you've touched while out, such as your cell phone. The reason is that influenza and other viral infections are going around and touching surfaces that may have recently been touched by an ill person is a risk of going in to an urgent care right now.

I hope this information helps. If you are willing, let me know how you are doing either in a follow up question or in review.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor