How can an ear canal abrasion be treated?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 3 May 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I accidentally went to deep cleaning my 2 year old daughter 's ear. She cried for like two minutes and then I realized she was bleeding..the bleeding stopped and she is acting normally...I don't know what to do.

Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The bleeding could be from an abrasion to the ear canal, but it could be from a punctured ear drum as well. The only way to know is to take her in to be seen by a doctor who can look insider her ear with an otoscope. So take her in to be seen, as it is important to know if the ear drum is punctured. If it is, it will heal, but you will want to take precautions while it is healing.

For the future, I generally recommend that for babies and toddlers, not to go digging in there. For little kids who have a problem with ear wax accumulation, I recommend Sweet Oil. You can drip it in the ear, and then just leave it and wipe away the oil from the outer ear when it drips out. No need for Q tips or irrigation. And it is safe for babies.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 13 minutes later
Should I take her now to the ER, or I could wait until tomorrow morning?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
go in tonight

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Since there was bleeding, it would be best to take her in to the ER tonight.