How can an ECG report be interpreted?

Cardiologist
Question
Hi I'm very worried again about having high take off on my ECG I've read it can cause death. When is it dangerous and when isn't it I'm very worried
Thu, 24 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that several findings on ECG may indicate an increased risk of life-threatening conditions as well as confirm certain cardiac disorders.

Nevertheless, ECG test is a helpful exam when judged in assembly with a careful interrogation of the physical exam and medical history as well as other recommended medical tests.

I would suggest you to write your special concern regarding ECG issues and if possible to upload any available ECG recordings in order to be possible for me giving a more exact professional opinion.

I remain at your disposal for further discussions.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: How can an ECG report be interpreted? 13 minutes later
Thx very much for replying. Would doctors be able to tell if i had the dangerous type by looking at my ecg

Brief Answer:
Opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Let me explain that your doctor would ask ECG exam as part of a routine medical checkup or when after a certain medical history and physical exam he suspects of any potential cardiac disorders.

If something abnormal is revealed for your ECG recordings, then your doctor would perform further diagnostic medical tests to confirm his professional suspicions.

In such case he certainly would tell you his medical decision and recommendations.

But, at the same time you should know that ECG conclusions are not absolute, they should be evaluated in the light of other clinical and diagnostic data.

ECG is quite decisive when it comes about a cardiac arrhythmia or cardiac conductance abnormalities, but it is not specific when other issues are considered (such as repolarization abnormalities, etc.).

Even when ECG machine gives an abnormal conclusion, it could not substitute the professional doctor's opinion, as ECG software is generally based on rigid algorithms and is not able to perform differential diagnosis.

The most important predicative issue is the clinical symptomatology and any other medical tests (including ECG) are only auxiliary in clinical decision making.

So, relax and don't worry too much about it!

If doctors would suspect of any specific threatening condition, they would have let you know their opinion.

If you need any concrete professional opinion, you have to upload the underlying ECG photos here for a direct review.

I remain at your disposal whenever you will need.

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: How can an ECG report be interpreted? 4 minutes later
Thx very much for your time answering my questions

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to have been helpful to you!

Wishing all the best for the New Year and Merry Christmas!

Dr. Iliri

Follow-up: How can an ECG report be interpreted? 1 minute later
Thx very much

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome!

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome!