History of cold. Why am I experiencing headache?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 28 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have started experiencing pain above my right eye for last some weeks generally when I have couple of drinks previous night. Is this linked in someway or what mightbe causing it? I have previous history of cold however feel no symptoms of that for last few months.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 11 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, let me reassure you that your symptoms do not represent any serious XXXXXXX brain disease.

The most likely cause of your headaches could be migraine. In this condition, headache may come on one side of head, and last for more than four hours. There may be feeling of nausea and the headache may get aggravated with exposure to light or noise.

After a drink, the next day, headache may occur due to "hang-over effect". The migraine headache can also get aggravated with drinks.

For symptom relief, you may take analgesics such as naproxen.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you doctor. Just to add, this pain often results in vo
miting and as you said lasts for around 5 to 6 hours. Should I take just 1 tablet of nanproxen as soon as I start feeling the pain or takeit at some interval? Also, I hope this has nothing to do with my liver or gall bladder?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Naproxen would relieve the pain.

However, if you are getting frequent headaches, you should also take a preventive medication (to prevent headaches from coming in the future). These medications include beta blocker, flunarizine, divalproex, topiramate, etc. If you consult a neurologist, he would be able to decide the best drug for you among the above.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)