question-icon

Hi Sir,I Am 50 Years Old .I Am Suffering From

Posted on Wed, 19 Sep 2018
Question: Hi sir,I am 50 years old .I am suffering from erectile dysfunction since five years and not able to walk properly.I lost my teeth(5 nos) recently and fatigue is another symptom.I had sex with sex worker for about 20 years back.After a few months I got some rashes on my body and then within a few days they gone,Sir please suggest me which test for syphilis is accurate to detect
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
There are many but FTA-ABS is most confirmative

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

From the available description the possibility of tertiary syphilis can not be ruled out and there is definite need to get tested for syphilis. Although there are many tests but FTA-ABS have high specificity (ability to detect true negatives) and sensitivity (ability to detect true positives).

In my opinion you need to discuss with your doctor before going for test as sometime two or more tests required in case of doubt.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar (15 days later)
Hi sir, I have got tested by VDRL and TPHA tests.In both tests the result is negative,I need your suggestion.Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar (15 hours later)
Brief Answer:
If both tests are negative I do not think it is syphilis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

If both the VDRL and TPHA tests are negative I do not think you are suffering with tertiary syphilis. Absence of positive result on any of the conducted tests almost confirms the above statement.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.
Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist