Hi sir I am 37 yr old male. Recently I

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Tue, 1 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi sir
I am 37 yr old male. Recently I have noticed drastic changes in my bowel movements. Earlier two times I daily went for bowel movement but for the last two weeks I have to go for 4 to 5 times. The stool is not pencil thin but it is too short like our little finger. I have a feeling that stomach is filled but when I go to toilet very little stool comes out. No other significant health problems are three. No blood in the stool or any other significant physical problem. I am scared about colon or rectal cancer. Expecting a better advice from you sir

Thanks
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can go for a colonoscopy for reassurance.

Detailed Answer:
Most probably it will be a part of irritable bowel disorders. Colon cancer is unlikely at this age.
As of now you can take laxatives like lactulose for symptomatic relief. Include more fiber rich foods in your diet.
However you can consult a gastroenterologist and plan for a colonoscopy for reassurance.
Wishing all the best.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D