question-icon

Hi I recently got my blood work back for ANA

Posted on Thu, 14 Feb 2019
Question: Hi I recently got my blood work back for ANA results. It came back from with a CENTROMERE pattern, and says that it is specific for the crest syndrome. I’ve alread recently been diagnosed with Graves’ disease. Can you please help me understand my results. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Divya Agarwal (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is possible to have multiple antibodies positive in case u suffer from a

Detailed Answer:
hi,
sometimes in the presence of a particular autoimmune disease like that of the thyroid, antibodies for ANA may also be positive, as these are inter related.
ana is not a screening test, it needs to b done only if we are suspecting a particular disorder like lupus or systemic sclerosis.
in the absence of which false positive results can occur like is probably happening your case

so I would suggest you to ignore this, as your symptoms don't match with Crest syndrome.
regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Divya Agarwal

Rheumatologist