question-icon

Hi ! I had a Total Thyroidectomy done in early

Posted on Mon, 14 Jan 2019
Question: Hi ! I had a Total Thyroidectomy done in early Nov'18 and underwent a radio iodine therapy thereafter to take care of the cancer cells. Was put on 150 mg of Eltroxin daily but my TSH levels are down to 0.036 while the FT4 is high at around 1.94 while the FT3 is normal at 3.6. Am extremely worried about the low TSH level and high FT4. Kindly advise on how to set my TSH levels to normal ?
Answered by Dr. Minal Mohit (7 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Let it remain low

Detailed Answer:
dear sir, hi and welcome to Ask A Doctor . though u have not mentioned the type of carcinoma thyroid u had, but as an old school of thought, we overtreat post carcinoma cases and keep TSH LOW . it is called suppressive therapy. and try keeping FT4 ON HIGHER SIDE. if u are not having tremors, palpitations or weight loss, continue the same plan , do not try to bring TSH UP.
to avoid bone loss, add calcium, vitamin d supplements
I have gone through your reports. u have diabetes as well . but your hba1c is controlled .so continue same. CBC is also normal. and TSH FT4 AND FT3 ARE ACCEPTABLE
regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Minal Mohit

Endocrinologist