Hi, I fell and hit my head Friday night. It

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2019 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi,

I fell and hit my head Friday night. It swelled up, but did not lose consciousness, nor was I dizzy, no headaches or vomiting. I went home and applied ice for several hours and my husband watched me like a hawk. I felt a little sore on Saturday and beside the bump and a little pain I had not other symptoms. On Monday morning I woke up with vertigo(I've had this before) but again no headaches or vomiting. The bump has reduced but still there.

Is there a need for concern? I am at work today and still feel a little vertigo. But again no headache, stiffness, etc.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No serious concern... CT scan might be necessary

Detailed Answer:

I went through the details and noted the events. You sustained injury on friday night where the only symptom found was swelling. You had no headache or vomiting. Absence of headache, vomiting and loss of consciousness are positive indicators that it is most likely not serious.

In a few individuals though concussion symptoms may appear during the course of a week or two. Vertigo may or may not be part of concussion. If vertigo is persistent and if there are any other symptoms such as subtle pain/headache, you should consider visiting doctor. A CT scan of the brain is warranted.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't be overly worried. Concussion symptoms are usually mild and resolve spontaneously. Rarely do they worsen. So stay relaxed. Monitor symptoms and consider a doctor visit as and when necessary.

Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad