Hi, I fell and hit my head Friday night. It

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,

I fell and hit my head Friday night. It swelled up, but did not lose consciousness, nor was I dizzy, no headaches or vomiting. I went home and applied ice for several hours and my husband watched me like a hawk. I felt a little sore on Saturday and beside the bump and a little pain I had not other symptoms. On Monday morning I woke up with vertigo(I've had this before) but again no headaches or vomiting. The bump has reduced but still there.

Is there a need for concern? I am at work today and still feel a little vertigo. But again no headache, stiffness, etc.
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go for a CT scan if symptoms persist.

Detailed Answer:
The lump/swelling is nothing but a hematoma. It is a collection of blood underneath the skin, Nothing much to worry and it will settle by itself.
Coming to vertigo,It can happen after a fall, however internal bleeding is unlikely because you never had symptoms like vomiting, loss of consciousness or seizure. As of now you can take drugs like betahistine for symptomatic relief.
If symptoms persists you can proceed with a CT scan to look for internal bleeding or fracture.
Wishing all the best.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 12 minutes later
Hello and than you for the quick response. Is there a time frame as when I should proceed with a CT, for the symptoms to subside?
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
We can wait for five to seven days.

Detailed Answer:
We can wait for five to seven days.
CT is mainly for reassurance as the chances for head injury is unlikely.
If there is minor bleed or other injuries are there ( chances are very very rare) we will manage conservatively and no intervention is required.
Wishing all the best.
Thanks