Hi! I am writing because I am taking zoloft now

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi!
I am writing because I am taking zoloft now about two months. I have found that it helps me but I have a couple of very annoying side effects. The main one is puffiness and water retention, mostly around my eyes and face, as well as an overall bloated feeling.

What do you recommend here? I do not want to switch medications because I have tried a few and they dont work.

Best, Pooja
Fri, 2 Feb 2018 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns about the side effect of zoloft.

First of all I am glad to know that Zoloft is doing good job for you as it has shown positive response over the last two months.

In regard to side effects of water retention and bloating around face I feel first we need to look for serum electrolytes level. Depending on the reports there is need for salt restriction and fluid restriction. In addition there is need to check for serum protein level and liver function tests as these two parameters can influence water retention.

In case everything turns out insignificant than water pills are recommended. I often use torsemide 10 mg for this purpose and mostly solves the problem in majority of my patients.

I hope this answers your query.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below-mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.