Hi, I am 24 years old and I am having
I am 24 years old and I am having trouble at the minute with a pain on the left hand side lower back above the hip, I have had it for at least two weeks now accompanied with occasional intense nerve pain from my bottom down my leg. The pain in my lower back is constant and can be relieved by rest however if I sit for long periods or stand for long periods it makes the pain worse. I don’t know whether you would be able to help me or give me advice? I would also get intense pain down my legs when walking occasionally unless this is when it presses on the sciatic nerve? Thank you
Can be lumbar muscle strain.
Thanks for posting your query.
Lower back pain is quite COMMON among middle aged individuals. Back muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes of acute to severe lower back pain. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.
Some other underlying causes like Sciatica, Spondylitis, Lumbar herniated disc, Degenerative disc disease, Isthmic spondylolisthesis etc should be ruled out through clinical examination and radiological investigation (like X- ray, CT scan, Myelogram, MRI etc). Kindly, consult with Orthopedic surgeon regarding this for proper management of the case.
TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:
1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.
2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.
3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You need proper prescription from your doctor.
4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Can spinal stenosis cause joints pain and swollen ankle, thighs and knees?
- Having lower back pain with tickling and pulsating sensation. What could...
- MRI of knee showed occult displaced fracture. What is it and what is the...
- What is the cause and treatment for painful knee with walking difficulty?
- Having ump into superclavical. What could the long tube feeling be?
- MRI findings show posterior disc bulges at L5-S1 and L4-5 levels....
- MRI scan shows Lumbar spondylosis. Suggest
- What causes pain in left groin and lower back and how can it be treated?
- Had MRI scan of right ankle and prescribed with zyloric for reduction of...
- What would be the cause of sudden neck pain on one side?