Hi Doctor, my colleague 35 years of age recently had

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
Hi Doctor,
my colleague 35 years of age recently had severe stomach ache after which he got ultrasound done... which is indicating stones in gall bladder.. though he dont have pain now but does it require surgery to operate or can be treated with medicine to avoid reoccurrence in future.
Tue, 6 Feb 2018 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Requires surgery as explained.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
Noted the history about your colleague and understood the concerns.
Posting the original report would have helped me more to assist better.
If there is even a single attack of gallbladder with stones confirmed surgery should be done for the following reasons:
There can be recurrent attacks.
Small stones can pass to bile ducts and cause obstructive jaundice or pancreatitis which are dangerous disease.
Hence to avoid the complications surgery should be done.
There are no sure-shot medications that can remove the gallstones hence surgery is a must.
I hope this answers your query.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is agap of communication.